Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Friday, August 16, 2013

"Iris Cross Stitch,Veggie Gardening,Bookmarks and Delish Cakes & Cupcakes."

Hello,

Last night I put the last stitch into this cross stitch design. I had purchased the 18 count Aida cloth already painted a while back from Good Sammy's for only $2.00. I recently purchased the book that contained the pattern  from e-bay.

"Iris" Cross Stitch.

I used the recommended DMC threads, pattern from Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch Australia Issue No. 8.


Sometimes we have disappointments when it comes to gardening with weather conditions, snails etc. This Winter we planted what the label said was Baby Cauliflowers. Several punnets of them actually, taken from different seedling trays at Bunnings.

What we actually got was a bonus.


They were not Baby Cauliflowers, but the normal ones. The problem now is we have so many BIG Cauliflowers. Lots of soup making going on. Every evening meal has a few pieces of Cauli on the plate.


The Broccoli is also growing at a fast rate. Broccoli is one of the most sprayed Veggies you can buy at the shops. We don't spray with anything. If you plant at the right time you can get a great crop.


I received a lovely card and one of Cheryll's book marker's in the mail on Tuesday. Perfect timing because I had just got home from the Library. Thank you so much Cheryll.

I got a message from my Sister Chris to say that Pauline's daughter has started a cake business. When I told Lucy this she said straight away that Justine's cakes are amazing. You see Lucy has been lucky enough to taste some of Justine's cakes while she was in New Zealand.

http://www.delishcakes.co.nz/

I borrowed the photo of this divine looking cake from Justine's website. The array of cakes and cupcakes will make you so hungry. If you live in New Zealand, both the North and South Island delivery is available.In the words of that Australian music man Mollie Meldrum "Do yourself a favour and buy them."

Enjoy the weekend.

Happy days.
Bev C


16 comments:

Jess said...

What a beautiful Iris! The fabric and design are just perfect together.
cauliflower and broccoli that's a good harvest!
Have a great weekend!

Anthea said...

The iris is just gorgeous Bev, and what a great bargain you found as the fabric - wish my local 2nd hand places had some of those treasures!
The cake looks amazing, love the icing, hope the new business goes well for her.
Hope your weather is not too awful today... have a great weekend x

Nat Palaskas said...

Gorgeous cross stitch Bev. At first I thought you dyed the cloth! That cake looks divine. Lucky people in NZ! Have a lovely weekend to you too - Hugs
Nat

Cheryll said...

Your work is always beautiful Bev! Yummo to the vegies... and cake...
and good luck to her for the new business venture! :)

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Wow Bev what a beautiful post...beautiful Iris cross stitch...Iris is my Sister's favourite flower! Beautiful broccoli and cauliflower and beautiful cake!!!

Dolores said...

Your iris is simply gorgeous.The cake is something special. I hope her business does well.
Veggies are supposed to be good for you and since you are growing them yourself, it's a bonus.

Pauline said...

I envy you those veggies, bet they taste fab. Thanks for mentioning Justine's cakes, I have been lax in not doing my bit to help her advertising. As well as looking great, they also taste good, she's a very good baker. I bet she tries to replicate that Iris!

Fiona said...

I love both cauliflower and broccoli ...home grown is so lovely too...
Your cross stitch iris looks beautiful... great finding the pattern to go with the painted canvas...
that cake looks so pretty too ... just so delicate...
Hugz

Christine M said...

Your iris is just beautiful Bev. I have a couple of Jill's books from way back when I used to cross stitch.

Karen said...

Another lovely cross stitch. Your work is beautiful.
I am very impressed with the caulies and the broccoli. Great to have fresh veg from your own garden.

Melody said...

lovely post. Have a wonderful weekend

Bobbie Lynn said...

Hi Bev,
Amazing things you posted. What a beautiful cross stitch, a watercolor effect. What gorgeous cauliflower. I love them roasted with olive oil and paprika. Broccoli, a hard one for me to grow. But one season I will give them another try. That cake is amazing. Wow, what a lot of work. Enjoy!
Blessings and have a wonderful weekend.

Wendy said...

Lovely post Bev, your iris is beautiful and goes perfectly with the fabric. Wonderful gardening and the cake looks amazing. Wendy xx

Terri said...

beautiful cauliflower and broccoli! How wonderful. Love your stitchery too.

Julie said...

Hello Bev ... I read your post quickly & then forgot I hadnt commented on it ... too much jammed into my tiny mind lately!!!
Your veges are to be proud of - they look so delicious, as does that cake. I love your iris too Bev, goes lovely with the fabric :-)

Unknown said...

Oh I love the Iris ... I must look into doing some of those hand painted aidas. And that cake really is a work of art!