Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, September 7, 2015

"A Hexie Tutorial- I"m Grateful for Roses small table centre."

 Hello,

I have got lots of things to be grateful for. I am especially grateful for the roses here in the garden at Kainga so I decided to make a small table centre to celebrate this.


First I found some pink/floral/rose themed fabrics and used my  Fiskars Hexagon Punch to make my  paper shapes. This is a great way to the exact size shape.


 I needed 16 hexagons for the table centre.


 Sitting out in the Spring weather was the most relaxing way to spend the morning. I used 100 per cent cotton to stitch them together.


 Then it was inside to use the embroidery machine to stitch out the words and a small rose. If you don't have a embroidery machine you can embroider by hand or add details to suit. First I pulled out the papers from behind the hexies but I did leave some in the outside ones this helped them to stay in place while being hooped.. I also sprayed the hexies with some Crisp ironing spray to stiffen it a little. When hooping up the hexies I used some tearaway to stabilise it.



 The next stage was to iron some Easy Fix on the back.


I then cut up the fabric for the table centre, I used the same fabric for the front and the back. This measured 14 inches wide by 10 inches long. I used some pink/purple toned silk thread to do button hole stitch around the edge. I used a lightweight pellon for the wadding which was cut a little bigger then cut back when the 2.5 inch binding was sewing on.


With Christmas not far away a table centre like this would make a wonderful present. Your friend maybe grateful for her sewing room, so you can use some sewing fabric for the hexagons. Or the person may love chickens, the ideas are endless.

What are you grateful for? I would love to hear.

Happy days.
Bev C

10 comments:

Christine M said...

Your table topper is lovely, Bev. xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev what a sweet idea and how cute does it look with your vase of flowers on it,well done xx

Julie said...

That is just gorgeous Bev. Such a sweet simple idea. I am grateful that the ground is finally warming up & it feels like spring at long last. This winter was a cold & wet one.

Lin said...

Beautiful make Bev. I am grateful for sun shining on the best view in the world outside my window! xx

Fiona said...

thats lovely Bev and thanks for the tutorial.... well, I am grateful for so much .... today I am grateful for cardboard boxes that can hold my things when I move....
Hugz

Terri said...

Fun project! A good reminder to start thinking about handmade gifts sooner than December. I am grateful that both my husband and I have jobs right now, which has been a challenge ;)

elliek said...

Love the colours in your hexies.

Anthea said...

what a great idea Bev...! such pretty colours... thanks for linking up!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty mat, love the soft colours.

ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

Kim said...

Your table centre is lovely......love the hexies. Now that the weather is warming up, it won't be long till your gorgeous roses are blooming a treat!