Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, November 9, 2015

"Hello November."

 Hello,

Happy Monday.

With all this gorgeous Spring weather we have been blessed with blogging has certainly taken a back seat here at Kainga. I have hardly turned on the computer at all over the past couple of weeks. I have spent a fair bit of time in the garden prepping for Summer vegies and looking after the roses that have been in full bloom for the past month or so. I can see a few hours ahead spent on deadheading.


Now do you believe in the Quilt Police, I know they would be horrified with the mix of cotton and poly fabrics in this table runner. I don't care though, using up bits of fabrics from dresses from my girls has been a absolute pleasure. So many memories in this table runner. There are four Dresden plate sections to join up and then the centre piece is done separately and sewn on after. It was all done in the hoop and sewed up very quickly. I cheated a little, deciding not to put a border on and simply placed the backing fabric over the top of the runner then sewed and turned it all through.

 
 The good thing about doing it in the hoop the wadding is placed in the hoop at the same time so no fiddling around with getting wadding the right size. I was able to use up some of the scraps of wadding. Since taking the photo I did find my missing yellow thread and quilted the centre of the flowers to hold it all together. The Dresden Plate embroidery design is from Sweet Pea Embroidery which is based here in Australia.


 I was recently given a bag of fabric to use up. So Jacob got some new Pj pants. The pattern I drafted from a Enid Gilchrist Baby Book. Do you remember those books, I made heaps of clothes for our children drafting up the patterns. The original price on the cover is 50 cents. Can you imagine buying a new book with heaps of patterns for that price now.


 The other fabric was quite a bit of check fabric. The brown check fabric was actually a very quickly made table runner (by someone who is not a sewer) so I decided to cut it up and make tea towels. I did think about making pants or clothes for the Grandies but as the fabric was a bit faded in places, tea towels were made up. I also made the green check fabric into a tea towel. A inhabitant of this home seems to delight in using up every tea towel in existence so they will certainly come in use.


Can you spot the ladder that is being hugged by the rose?


My roses are making me happy this fine Monday, what is making you happy. I would love to hear.

Happy days.
Bev C

14 comments:

marina said...

Lovely flowers on your runner, they look very summery and cheery!
Great that you have been enjoying your roses and the garden.
Lots of appliqué has been making me happy! Especially when it works out after some reverse sewing
Have a great week

Maria said...

Such a beautiful table runner Bev, and such a lovely idea using fabrics from dresses that you had made dresses for your girls' sounds like you've been very busy in the garden too.

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a lovely runner...full,of memories. Your garden is a treat as always xx

Maria said...

A very memorable table runner... Beautiful Spring garden and nice PJ pants for Jacob..

sharon said...

Reading your springtime post is such a joy for me, deep into the autumn as we are on this other hemisphere.
We've had such amazing night skies lately… I have to wonder how different they must look to you. We've also been blessed with an abundance of sun for November, typically the greyest month of the year. Each sunny day is a gift.
Love to see what you're up to with sewing and quilting, two of my loves. And your roses, ahhhh. I just picked one this morning after tending to the chickens. It is a deep magenta, the only blooming rose that the deer missed on their night raid.
Lovely visiting you! Be well.

Gina said...

I love the roses. Never mind the quilt police, I love that runner and it will hold so many memories for you xx

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

I wouldn't be worrying about the quilt police if I were you....more important that you got that special fabric in! Like you I haven't spent as much time at the computer.....so many things to do!

Pauline said...

Your garden is looking lovely. Bet those vegies will taste good, too. I still use my old patterns when sewing for Aiden. I'm always stunned how much they cost these days.

Julie said...

Your table runner is gorgeous Bev ... & your garden is looking stunning as always. Its such a pretty time of year ... mind you, yours seems to look glorious all year round :-)

Christine M said...

Your table runner is so pretty, Bev.

Fiona said...

I love your dresdens. (and I also use a mix of poly and cotton if that's what I have!!) and great use for the pants and tea towels.. there is never enough of those ( I like finding the old ones at the op shops!) How pretty are your roses..

Hugz

Karen S said...

It is a perfect time to be in the garden. But you have managed some wonderful sewing in the meantime. Lovely work on the dresdens and the PJs.
Keep enjoying the lovely weather while it lasts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev,wow you sure have been busy,love your sewing and your garden looks fantastic xx

Stitching Noni said...

Your table runner is gorgeous! I love the colours and all those different fabrics will bring back happy memories every time you look at it! The quilt police can go jump!! :o)
Hugs xx