Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, May 3, 2010

"Makes Me Happy Monday" number 18.

Hello,

I hope you all had a great weekend. We spent it out in the garden pulling out more lavender bushes. The bonus is every time we take a load of green waste to the tip we come back with a load of mulch for the garden. It means more work but it is a great help to have it for our garden.This weeks theme for "Makes Me Happy Monday" is the Jane McGrath Rose. I purchased this last week on our trip to the rose nursery. For those of you who don't know who Jane McGrath was I will quote from the rose label. "The McGrath Foundation was co-founded by Jane McGrath and her cricketing husband, Glenn,after Jane's initial recovery from breast cancer. While being treated for a secondary cancer in 2003, Jane had access to a breast care nurse for the first time and became aware of the huge impact that they can have on a patient's physical and mental well-being during and after treatment.
Jane said at the time that it was like having someone holding her hand through one of the worst nightmares of her life while allowing her to voice her frustrations and emotions to someone outside of her immediate family,as well as having someone who could give informed and knowledgeable answers to her many questions. By purchasing this rose,you are helping to continue the McGrath Foundations's important work to place McGrath Breast Care Nurses in rural and regional Australia as well as increasing breast awareness in younger woman. To find out more about this please visit the McGrath Foundation. Jane had seen this rose and was looking forward to its release prior to her passing in 2008."

The blooms on this rose have been on the bush since I purchased it last week. So it keeps its bloom for sometime. It is a Floribunda Rose and is Black Spot resistant. It was bred for Australian conditions by Ron & Barbara Inverarity. The lightly scented blooms are produced in clusters on slightly arching canes. It is an all round easy care rose with low maintenance that is ideal for hedging,mass planting or in a pot. It grows to a height of one metre and a width of 80cm.

A very "Happy Monday" to you all.
Bev C

13 comments:

Pauline said...

Bev, thank you so much for the story behind the rose. I was a great fan of Glen Mc Grath, whenever I go to visit my grandparents old farm I drive past the Mc Grath old homestead, so have always felt that connection. I remember reading about the foundation set up in her memory and am so glad it is doing such a terrific job of helping others who are going through that terrible ordeal.
And that is a beautiful rose!

Teresa said...

Great post Bev. What a gorgeous rose too. I've never been one for having flowers in my garden, but I think this could definitely be the exception. Such a worthy cause as well. Happy Monday to you xx

Unknown said...

Beautiful Rose Bush Bev...Love the Fact that Jane's Photo is on the Label...
cheers

Lynda said...

Thanks for mentioning the rose Bev - I will look out for it.

retdairyqueen said...

Indeed a beautiful rose and a great cause
I just wish my daughter had access to a breast care nurse
At the moment a former nursing friend of hers is trying to get this wonderful service up and running in our area and her funding is coming from The McGrath Foundation
My daughter is to be her first patient When it finally happens

Chookyblue...... said...

I have a couple of these I got late last year..........think mine need some fertaliser.........
so pretty.......

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful rose Bev and to help raise funds for such a worthwhile cause is fantastic.

Happy Monday to you too x

Terriaw said...

What a beautiful story behind a beautiful rose. I'm so happy to learn this story from you.

Bobbie Lynn said...

What a beautiful rose and thank you for the information about Jane McGrath. Happy Monday to you too. Enjoy your lovely rose.

Maria said...

What a beautiful rose. I wonder if I could get one to grow here with my bore water.Would love to try.

Anita said...

Hi Bev, You've probably been pulling out your lavendar so you can plant more rose bushes!! Kind regards, Anita.

Jossie said...

A beautiful rose for a beautiful cause. Thank you for telling the story behind it. I hope it will for a many more weeks.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Just beautiful Bev...and all for a very very good cause♥x