Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tuesday's Treasures.

Hello and Welcome.

This week my little Treasure is a hand painted rose de-thorner. This was painted by the same lady who did the plaque for our home which shows up in my blog photo profile.

Truth be known I don't use them as much as I should but they are pretty. The rose in the photo is "Dapple Dawn" which is a English Rose which was previously known as a David Austin Rose.

Dapple Dawn is a sport of "Red Coat". It has large, single pink blooms with a paler centre and long yellow stamens which are lightly scented and is always in flower. I have three of them in a hedge like situation.

The book  is about Trevor Griffiths a rosarian from New Zealand. A beautiful book with lots of history about his life and roses.

Once again one treasure has turned into more treasures.

Have a lovely day and make sure you find the other treasures on show this week at Melody's blog.

Happy days.
Bev C

14 comments:

BubzRugz said...

Those dethorners are so simple and so effective.... lovely roses and book...you have just reminded me of one I have that was my grannies....
Hugz

Melody said...

I've never heard of a rose dethorner. What a handy tool to have. Thanks for this lovely rose themed post, really beautiful.

Valspierssews said...

The handles are beautifully painted and I just love that open type of rose when there are masses of them on a large bush.

Jossie said...

The de-thorner looks like a pretty heirloom. Do you really use it or do you keep and cherish it? I don't think I would use such a lovely tool.
Your roses look amazing like always. You must have a wonderful garden.

Terriaw said...

beautiful! I love the colors! what a cool treasure to have. BTW, I think we might have the same roses, which probably won't bloom around here till July, so it's a treat seeing yours.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I have never seen a de-thorner before. How SWEET yours is! My favorite roses are David Austin...LOVE THEM! Your header is GORGEOUS and I LOVE that little lady bug!!!He's TOO CUTE!!!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a Rose dethorner either Bev - you are educating us in the ways of roses. They are beautiful and I've always admired your profile picture. Thanks for sharing your beautiful treasures.

Sheila said...

I have to say I had never heard of a dethorner , sure sounds like an interesting tool .I wonder if we have them here?Thanks for sharing .

Bobbie Lynn said...

Hi Bev,
What a beautiful rose and love the color of it. The book of Trevor Griffiths sounds interesting and by the look of it, it may have some beautiful photos too. Happy reading and hope you are having a wonderful day. We are having beautiful weather here and just got my bell peppers into the ground. Blog soon.
Blessing,
Bobbie Lynn

Narelle said...

Don't think I've heard of rose dethorners ... yours are lovely.
The roses are beautiful!

Anita said...

Hi Bev, After this long hot summer that won't end, I don't think there is anything left in my garden to de thorn!!!! Pretty de thorner by the way. Kind regards, Anita.

Michelle Ridgway said...

All of your "rosey" things are lovely. The dethorners are such a great idea and a bonus being pretty as well.

Simone de Klerk said...

It is always so much fun to read about roses on your blog. Those names are so precious!

Rosy Inspiration said...

Lovely lovely rose, I think there are not many English Roses like that, they are quite rare.