Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, December 5, 2011

"Makes Me Happy Monday."

"Happy Monday."

Today I am happy to share a recipe. Nothing better than a cake recipe that is so easy to whip up.


I will give the recipe then tell how I changed it to suit the ingredients I had on hand.

Tea cake.

1 cup mixed fruit
2 cups self raising flour
125grams butter/margarine
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Place fruit,sugar,butter and bi-carb into a bowl. Pour over one cup boiling water. Stir in flour,spices and beaten egg. Grease and flour a loaf tin. Bake in a moderate oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

Now I didn't have mixed fruit so used sultanas. I used a mixture of butter and margarine because I usually use butter in cake making and only had a little left so melted the butter and margarine together and added to the mix. I used only 3/4 cup of sugar. You can always do with less sugar. One teaspoon of mixed spice is never enough for me. I added about 4 teaspoons. This makes a lovely moist cake.

I am so happy, can you see the apricots in the photo above. I picked them on Sunday morning. This year our tree is bearing more fruit. Last year was the first year it had fruited, I missed it. I found the only apricot it had grown on the ground all soggy. So this year I was keen to make sure the fruit ripened and was  then picked on time. I had covered the fruit with a net so the birds couldn't find them. It was wonderful to eat these fruit which haven't been sprayed with anything.


Very happy to have the blocks finished for the centre part of the quilt I am working on. Today I hope to get some applique on the next section done. I cut out  the shapes yesterday and plan to start the applique today doing button hole by hand.

Happy days.
Bev C

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

that cake looks so yummy Bev and lovely centre piece your colours are lovely

Lurline said...

Lots of pretty blues and I love the sound of your teacake - just might have to try!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Karen said...

That cake looks delicious!
I used to love picking the apricots from our own tree. I am so pleased you have a good crop this year.
Your blocks are looking great!

Fiona said...

Great cake recipe... just my kind.. mix and cook... I'm off to do one now....
fresh apricots are the best and I love how your quilt is coming together.... what is that block called??
Hugz

Michelle Ridgway said...

Thanks Bev, have to give this one a go...my sort of cake. Lovely block too.

Mylene said...

Cake looks yummy!!! and the block is looking lovely!!
Happy monday too!!

Nat Palaskas said...

Thanks for the cake recipe Bav. I love the look of that blue block. I am thinking of making a blue quilt this Christmas - Hugs Nat

Bobbie Lynn said...

Good Morning Bev,
That Tea Cake looks very yummy. How exciting to be able to pick fresh apricots. I hope you have many to pick this season. Your quilt center looks great and that is a really pretty quilt block pattern.

Happy sewing. : )

Eggs In My Pocket said...

The cake sounds wonderful! The quilting is just lovely! blessings,Kathleen

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Bev....catching up here...nice easy cake recipe, and good how you can use what you have too...Congrats on winning that cool prize...I haven't done any sewing for days...mmmm, un-sewing....I think we've all had times like that ha ha....Dzintra xo

Cheryll said...

Well after that... I'm off to make a coffee! YUM!
Merry Christmas Bev... :)

Valspierssews said...

Great cake recipe and the apricots look wonderful. I am waiting on my lychees. This year looks like a good crop. I love the colours and pattern of your quilt centre.

Sally said...

Oh YUM!!! That sounds so good.

Anonymous said...

The cake looks delicious and the recipe seems like a nice quick one - I love mixed spice cake, I used to make raisin and mixed spice buns when I was little so we could take them as part of our packed lunches on Sunday walks. Wooo - look at those apricots - how fantastic - I hope they taste as gorgeous as they look.

Pauline said...

That's pretty much the same as a hand written recipe I have, Bev. Been trying to remember where I got it from. I think it may have been from a pack of mixed fruit in the 70s. Thanks for the reminder. I will make it this weekend. Love your blue quilt!

Melody said...

Gorgeous recipe and gorgeous quilt.

Wendy said...

Your quilt looks lovely, so many pretty blues and your tea cake sounds yummy, thanks for the recipe.

Sheila said...

Thanks for the recipe , I have some mixed fruit so I think I will mix this up . Love your quilt.

Marg said...

Looks yummy - cake and quilt. Will be trying it out. Always on the look out for a quick cake for lunch boxes, morning teas, etc. Thanks.