Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Owl in the hoop, a complete surprise and a new cross stitch."

Hello,

Happy Tuesday.

When I do machine embroidery sometimes I dive straight in and do the project other times I test sew a piece to see if the colours and fabrics go together. Luckily for our Grandson Jacob I did just this, otherwise he would have been a bit scared of the owl I was making for him. Lets say that plainer colours work better together.


This design was stitched in the hoop with four separate hooping's. I then joined them together. Made a padded backing and joined it together with hand sewing on the base. I had to go back to school days when we were taught to hand sew things together before stitching on the machine, especially when it came to joining the nose section. Sometimes doing things the correct way really works!

Last Monday I was so surprised to get a parcel from Bobbie Lynn for Mother's Day.


 To say I was overwhelmed with this parcel is a understatement.


 In the parcel was this tea towel with a Cucumber embroidered on it. Bobbie Lynn and I have been talking about my lack of Cucumber growing until by some miracle we were able to grow them this past Summer. So now I have my very own Cucumber all year round. You see Bobbie Lynn is very efficient in growing Cucumbers I think her good vibes were sent all the way from the US to here so my Cucumbers had to grow.


 Also in the parcel was some of Bobbie Lynn's decorated eggs. These are just so delicate. I am actually on the look out for a fallen nest to put them in. Meanwhile they are in my sewing room for me to admire.


 I was also blessed with a set of handmade cards and envelopes. They look too nice to use don't they.

  
 Stamps. I had been talking to Bobbie Lynn about how some crafter's had been using stamps in hand embroidery and lo and behold one of her friends was no longer in need of these. Amazing generosity. I have some plans for these.

Thank you so much Bobbie Lynn.


I have started a new cross stitch, doing a little each night. Some nights even undoing what I have just done! I purchased this pattern last year from a on-line shop which operates out of Melbourne called Needlework Boutique.

Italy has a new citizen, congratulations to my nephew  Ryan  and Edy and big Sister Faye on the arrival of Emily May last Friday. Best wishes to you all.

Unfortunately there is one less amongst us, today our Son-in-law Julian says goodbye to his Nan in New Zealand. Love and prayers to Julian Ainsley Jacob Debbie Fiona Alisdair and family.

I have been reading Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini. I am not enjoying this as much as her other novels. I have just flicked to the back and saw that the lady that the story revolves around had written her own novel. Think I will try to read that one. This one seems to be a bit slow going. Has anyone else read this book. I would be interested to hear what you thought of it. The copy I am reading is in big print so it is quick to read in that respect.

Happy days.
Bev C

18 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Pretty new stitch, lovely to catch up on all your news.

Lynda said...

So much happening at Kainga - great news and sad news. I agree about Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker - I felt exactly the same. I persevered and recently bought the next novel, The Spymistress, but haven't been able to bring myself to start it yet. I wish she'd write more about the goings on at the manor in present day.

Pauline said...

That little owl is just beautiful! I have a pattern for one somewhere, I think I will see if I can find it. Sorry to hear about Julian's Nan but nice to hear about the new Italian.

Christine M said...

You owl is gorgeous Bev. What a lovely surprise from Bobbie Lynn. Some happy and sad family news. I read Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker and found it a little hard to get into. Like you, I didn't enjoy it as much as I have all her Elm Creek Quilts novels.

Lin said...

What a gorgeous parcel from Bobbie-Lynn - well deserved I am sure. Lucky Jacob - I love his owl. xx

Christine said...

I would have loved to see what your patterned scary owl would have looked like but agree it's probably best not to give young children nightmares! lovely gifts and I really like your lovely classic crosstitch.

Cheryll said...

WOW gorgeous package from your USA friend BobbieLynn. Sorry to hear about the loss of a family member.
Love the owl you made Jacob too! :)

marina said...

what a beautiful parcel of goodies.
It's bitter sweet how life comes in to this world while some leave it.
Such a pretty new cross stitch design.

Fiona said...

love your owl... looks just perfect and a lovely parcel with lots of gorgeous treasures... congrats on the new family member and commiserations on the loss of a loved one.... the circle of life? I haven't read that one.. still only at the early ones...
Hugz

Bobbie Lynn said...

Hello Bev,
Sorry to hear about Julians loss. A big congratulations to the family with a new baby. Always a blessings to hear of a new life. All the best to them.
I love that owl. Perfect for Jacob. Look at all the wonderful stitching on him.
Your new cross stitch looks like very tiny stitching for what I can see. Looks lovely.
So happy that you liked my parcel.
Have a wonderful day
Blessings,
Bobbie Lynn

Melody said...

Such a brilliant parcel and I love your adorable owl

KimM said...

WOW - love the owl - and what a thoughtful, lovely parcel!
xxx

Stitching Noni said...

I adore your owl!!
Wow, the package you received is full of beautiful things :)
I haven't read her latest book yet.... I love the other books but the storyline of this one hasn't said "read me" yet.... I am pleased to hear your thoughts on it as now I won't worry about buying it after all! :)

Julie said...

Your owl is just lovely Bev - it must be lovely to sew things for your new grandchild. That parcel your friend sent over is just divine - especially the packaging. I have a crink in my neck from peering so closely at all the beautiful packaging, tags etc

Karen said...

Your owl has turned out really well, and your gifts are lovely. The cross stitch is progressing well, too.

Mrs Knitaddict said...

This must be the prettiest owl I'd seen in long time.
Lovely gifts from Bobbie Lynn, great news from your growing family and that gorgeous cushion
down below.
Each time I visit you Bev I go very inspired. Thanks for that.
Kisses,
Dolly

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

What a newsy post Bev....very cute owl too! What a lovely surprise in the post for you! I have read hat book and did enjoy it though it was different to the others. I have the next one but not read it yet!

Have a lovely weekend Bev!

Wendy said...

Hi Bev, the little owl you made is gorgeous and the gifts you got are all beautiful. Lovely new cross stitch too, have a happy weekend, Wendy