Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

"Welcome March, Folk Art Quilt, Watermelons.

Hello,

It's funny how things work out sometimes. I was looking for a bag of squares and triangles that I add to every now and again when I happened upon a quilt that needed some work doing to it. The reason I stopped working on it was the middle block. The fabric was so white, far too white for my liking. The project was nearly turned into separate cushions a while back. Then I thought what would it look like if I dyed it with some tea leaves. Project saved! It doesn't look so glaring to look at the centre block now.


 So after dying the centre block I made up the sheep block and the top and bottom blocks. I hadn't downloaded the bottom block so I just based my block on the original quilt which was put out by Linen Closet quilts way back in 2011 and 2012. I also tea dyed the bottom block.I  also used ric-rac instead of bias cut fabric on the bottom and top row blocks.


I also added some more stitching to the basket handle. At the moment I have a heap of calico and cream homespun fabrics having a tea bath. Will make up a scrappy border with these.


Christmas time last year Lucy planted a punnet of Watermelons. These two beauties are about ready to pick with lots more coming along.


Late last month we welcomed a new baby girl to the family clan. My niece Jill gave birth to a beautiful baby girl called March Elizabeth. Congratulations Jill Dave and Beau.

The other good news is that Summer is officially over. A huge big YAY from me. Autumn is a much more livable/enjoyable season for me.

Happy days.
Bev C.

16 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

bring on autumn I say......so over summer this year.........

Julie said...

Lovely quilt there Bev - I like the way you have used the ric rac. I'm with you on being over summer ... I dont enjoy them at all now & look forward to autumn too :-)

Karen S said...

Great progress with the quilt top. It is so good to rescue something and make it turn out the way you want. I would love to grow watermelons. They look amazing!

Lin said...

Amazing how such a small thing can put you off! The quilt is going to be great and those watermelons look good. It is supposed to be spring here - we have woken up to brilliant sunshine, and a frost! Still it promises to be a nice day, enjoy yours. xx

Bobbie Lynn said...

What a wonderful quilt there Bev. I love the different sizes and appliqués. Nice job on saving it too. I need to remember when fabric is a bit too bright I can tone it done with tea dying.
I just love your watermelon. That is my favorite summer fruit. I have been know to eat a whole watermelon in one day.
Congratulations to your your Niece and Nephew. I love hearing about a new little one coming into to the world. What a blessings : )
Have a wonderful day.
Blessings!
P.S. I will keep my eye out on a Gogi bush too.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great quilt :-) we're wishing spring would hurry along

Christine M said...

Your quilt is looking good, Bev. I've tea dyed white fabric that has been too white several times. What a difference it makes. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Christine xx

Jeanette said...

Sick of summer.Sweltered here in Ipswich again yesterday. :(. Love your quilt. Those watermelons look fabulous. Hugs,xx

Fiona said...

Gotta love a cup of tea... for drinking and fixing our fabrics!!! Your watermelons will taste delish... Yes, i am an Autumn lover also....

Hugz

Fiona said...

... and congrats on the new baby.....

Hugz

Lowcarb team member said...

Well here in the UK we are just heading into Spring, the daffodils are beginning to peep through and I love this time of year.

Of course where you are Autumn is approaching.....

Those water melons look good

Have a Happy Autumn

All the best Jan

Kim said...

'A cup of tea' saved the day again! Your quilt top is looking lovely. You can grow watermelons..wow..I am impressed. I am afraid they would turn up their toes down here.

Terri said...

Fun to see how you saved your quilt! And fun to see your garden again. I'm looking forward to our gardens coming back to life soon.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Good job Bev on saving the quilt...looks good too! Love that Watermelon....can't get enough of it lately! Congratulations to all on the New Arrival!

Enjoy the weekend!

Nat Palaskas said...

Well done! Dyeing saved the lovely quilt. It looks great! Have a good weekend - Hugs Nat

Pauline said...

That's a lovely quilt, Bev. Hope Lucy shares her watermelons!!