Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Lucy's Awesome Merry-go-round Quilt."

Hello,

Only a few more days of Summer to go!!! Though I still expect some hot weather next month. This has been the hottest drier Summer on record. I am really looking forward to getting out into the garden and organising the veggie patch for Winter vegetables. This month I was determined to finish of this quilt that has been in the cupboard for just a few years. I just needed to hand sew on the middle section,it was already pinned for me. Then I added some borders and I was ready to quilt it.The designs are from a Cactus Punch CD called Fantasy 1 Carousel Menagerie.
Some of the designs are 3D in nature and the tassles on the Giraffes's saddle are cut to be like a real tassle.
With the zebra this was embroidered out then I had to add the saddle on top of it. The details in the embroideries is extraordinary.


I added some information regarding how Merry-go-rounds / Carousels were first invented.





I finished the quilt of this morning,hiding all the threads. The final measurements are about 55 inches square.This quilt now belongs to Lucy. When I brought it out of the cupboard at the beginning of the month she couldn't remember that I had started it for her and asked why I put the information in the middle. She thought as it was her quilt it should have said "Lucy is Awesome." So I think I will call it "Lucy's Awesome Merry-go-round Quilt."
Happy days.
Bev C


11 comments:

Anita said...

Bev, that's a lovely quilt! And what an interesting idea to put the information about Merry-go-rounds on it. Lucy is pretty quick to claim that quilt.....she'll go a long way. Kind regards, Anita.

retdairyqueen said...

Indeed it is "awesome"

Anonymous said...

Hello Bev, Thank you for sharing "Lucy's" quilt. It truly is remarkable. I know you will have fun planning your winter vegetables. We are just saying goodbye to cold temps and welcoming Spring time flowers here. Hoping you are well.

Simone de Klerk said...

What a wonderful quilt and I love the name you gave it!

Maria said...

What a lovely quilt for Lucy. Lucky girl.

Tarnyia said...

Bev you have done a wonderful job on your quilt and I bet you are happy to have a finish.. I love merry-go-rounds and years ago I purchased a stencil to paint one on blocks.. it is still unused hahahahahahaha

Jossie said...

It is gorgeous Bev. Lucy will love it.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

This is great Bev!!! JoJo just loves carousels...I have never seen that fabric before...Well done and Lucky Lucy♥x

Bobbie Lynn said...

What a beautiful quilt Bev. The colors are gorgeous. Lucy will treasure it forever. What lucky girl

Have a wonderful weekend. : )

Blessings,

Unknown said...

Bev that is so beautiful !

Mylene said...

What a lovely quilt! Great job, Bev.
Hope your week is going well.