Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

How to make a "All Natural Iron Cleaner" and Friday Night Sew- In.

Hello,

Today I thought I would should you something that you may wish to make-" A All Natural Iron Cleaner." I have used this to clean the base of my iron for several years now. It is great for getting those marks off your iron when using vliesofix or you have used a higher setting on your iron that you should have and it has left a scorch mark. First of you need some beeswax and some cotton material. I hemmed a piece that ended up being 12.5 inches by 10.5 inches. Just make sure it is big enough to scrunch into a ball so you can clean the base of your iron without burning your fingers.
Slice off some of the beeswax. You don't need much. You can also use the beeswax that you buy in sheets for making candles. I have used this in the past,you only need about a quarter of the sheet of beeswax. Please make sure you have an old towel underneath.

Now I have placed a piece of baking paper under the cotton material and on top of the cotton material. I then set the iron to a fairly high setting like cotton to melt the wax. You can see the wax melting in the photo above. Make sure it spreads all over the cotton material. Be warned the material is very hot now. Take away the baking paper and let the material cool down. You will than have a cloth that cleans your iron naturally. The smell perminating from the cloth is just beautiful. My previous cloth lasted for many years,although in the end it was fairly dirty and had managed to get some holes into it. I purchased my piece of beeswax from the Tourist Bureau in Toodyay and I paid $3.30 for it. If you know a place that sells honey you will quite possibly find beeswax for sale as well.


Tomorrow is the Friday Night Sew In and I am planning to get this stitchery of the Ladybird done. I haven't managed to get much done lately as I have been battling along with a very very low iron level. It is almost non-existant. I have been falling asleep at the drop of a hat,it is common for me to have 3 to 4 hours sleep during the day. I sit down on the lounge chair and I am asleep within a minute. Reading and looking at the computer screen has been near impossible to do for longer than a few minutes at a time. I have had very tired eyes. Things came to ahead last week and I am now on a course of injections over the next couple of months. I am booked in for some tests next month which will hopefully find a cause for it as it has come on quite suddenly. Although I normally don't have a very high level. What I want to know is does anyone else have trouble taking iron supplements. I cannot take them as they make me so tired,it really has the opposite affect. This also happens with multi-vitamins that have iron in as well. If you have had this sort of trouble please let me know what you did about it and if you have any information that a Doctor has given you. I hope you manage to make the Iron Cleaner.
Happy days.
Bev C



p.s I forgot to say when you are melting the wax,make sure the material is folded in half so the wax is between the material.

10 comments:

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

thanks for the iron tip, I tend to use the same wax that I use for my skis, not quite so good, will try beeswax instead!!

Pauline said...

Sorry to hear about your iron problem, Bev. Afraid I don't have any tips. Just make sure you look after yourself while it is being sorted out! Chris might have to get you back over here to visit her witch doctor! She is looking so well lately - Gregor has worked miracles!

Mylene said...

Hello Bev, sorry to hear over your low iron levels, hope it gets sorted out soon for you. Take care.

retdairyqueen said...

Irons all round
Thanks for the tip to clean the iron and I hope you will feel better soon

Simone de Klerk said...

Thank you for your 'tutorial'. I hope you will soon get all your energy back and that they can find the cause very soon!

Beena said...

If you can get your iron from natural sources, rather than taking supplements, you are better off. And I forget what it is, but I think that taking it with vitamin E helps the body absorb iron better...but you may need to double check.
I am going for a bunch of tests myself for problems! Hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev, Hope you soon feel better. Thank you for the great tip.

Bobbie Lynn said...

Bev, I do hope the Doctors find out what is going with you. : ( Please keep us posted.

Thank you for the cleaning tip and that is a very cost effective also. I go through a lot of iron clearner and a tube cost over $5.

The weather here has been just beautiful I hope to update my blog today. I hope the computer will let me. I did some pillows and I'm starting another project and hope to use more of my fabric scraps.

Happy sewing.

Maria said...

Thank you for the tip for cleaning my iron.
Hope you are feeling better soon. Sorry do not have any tips.
Will be joining you tomorrow night for the sewin. Sue and I will be in Perth for a retreat with the Scquilters.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev...there is a herbal iron supplement form the health food shop...I can't think of it's name...but I had trouble taking iron supplements also...I think the name ends in ix...maybe Floradix...it is generally better absorbed...let me know how you go if you try it...Dzintra. I'm at another computer that's why I'm anonymous