Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Roped In.

Hello,

Back in May I received a phone call. Would I be able to make a tote bag I was asked. If it is simple I replied. I will send of the kit to you I was told. Look what I first saw when I opened the parcel. A huge bundle of rope 45 metres of it. Amongst the rope was the pattern and a batik jelly roll and some handles.
First off I had to join the 40 strips together on the bias. That was fairly easy. I only had one on the wrong way,the second last one I did luckily.

The next part was I had to turn those 40 strips that were joined together into metres and metres and metres of bias binding. There was a trick to doing it. At least a hour and a half ironing. Though I reckon I could have done with an extra pair of hands. Lucy was at school when I was doing this. When she got home she saw what I was doing and she said "It all is an experience" They know how to cheer you up immensely don't they!!! Plus I have to mention I do not iron. Ian is quite capable of ironing his work clothes.



The next part was to put the cord into the bias binding and make the piping. I had a little trouble with this as the adjustable piping/zipper foot on my Brother Sewing machine was making it a very slow job. Sue from my Friday sewing group had two attachments for my Janome to try out. A piping foot or a beading foot. The piping foot held it down so much better. When I got home from sewing on Friday I motored on for several more hours to get it done. The motto is never trade in your old machine not only do you not get enough for it having the second machine or third machine in my case always comes in handy for days like this.


I then had to cut several pieces in different sizes to make the base. Then I had to fold the piping material around the cord and attach to the base. This made it stronger. Then it was a case of zig-zagging the material to the previous row. After the first couple of rows the pattern asked you to lessen of on the tension. Well my bag was turning out like a flattened sombrero or even worse a fried egg. The pattern suggested you just rip it apart instead of using a quick un pick. What a mess of threads that left. Next time I would use my quick un pick. Well after hours of sewing a shape that was looking more like a basket formed. It was supposed to be a tote bag. I think this would be more useful. You can see what you have in it rather than rumbling around for things at the bottom of the bag. I tried several times to sew the handles on but the thread kept on coming through. I have told the new owner to take it to an upholsterers to get them to sew it on. I pinned the handles on for the purpose of the photo. Will I be making one of these again???? I don't know. I have kept a copy of the pattern but after 4 solid days of working on this I need a break and will do something completely different.
So there I have made my very first zig-zag bag.
Happy Sewing
Bev C


20 comments:

Christine M said...

The bag looks great Bev. All your hard work has paid off. You should be very proud of yourself! Hugs, Christine

RG said...

Wow Bev, I applaud your stick-to-it-ness!!! What a job it sounds like.
Even though it's not the shape you imagined I still think it's amazing and a very interesting technique.
Good job!

chris said...

Awesome! Now that takes some dedication. Hope the new owner appreciates this work of art and lets everyone know who made it!

Pauline said...

Bev, that is more like an ornament than something practical like a tote bag. I can't help but think how lovely it would look on Chris' table in the gazebo! I'm sure it would look great anywhere but that's where I imagine something like that living. It truly is a work of (patient) art!

Lynda said...

What a great bag Bev.

Roseanne said...

BOY Bev it sound like hard work to me. but it look great well done to you.

Teresa said...

I love the bag Bev... it's really unusual, but so striking. I cannot believe, however, the work involved in making it. You are amazing! So much effort and working with metres and metres of fabric must have been so much 'fun' for you!!!

Simone de Klerk said...

Dear Bev! I admire the work you did. A beautiful basket. But, just reading about everything you had to do for it, I already got tired. No, I don't think this would be something for me, but the result is stunning!

Tarnyia said...

WOW what a load of mucking around.. glad it was you and not me hahahaha.. but hey it does look good and good on you for sticking to the job of it...

Sue said...

You've done a terrific job on that bag/basket. I really want one but am too afraid to have a go. A friend (who is an excellent quilter) made a small one and vowed never again!
I (not an excellent quilter) am now not game to try.

Maria said...

Bev your bag is just gorgeous and I think the special piping foot is what mde your job easier.

Mylene said...

WOW! But that turned out a gorgeous bag, Bev. Well done!!

Terriaw said...

After all your efforts, this looks fabulous! Glad to hear you stuck with it.

Jossie said...

It is a nice bag or basket Bev. What a lot of effort you put in. I bow in admiration. Did you have any idea when you started the job?

Bobbie Lynn said...

Oh my gosh Bev that is great! That took a lot of time but well worth it, it's beautiful.

Cath Ü said...

Fantastic looking bag... I love it... I suppose this is not the time to ask for one for Christmas....??? LOL

Cath's Blog
Cath Ü

Thimbelina said...

Wow... this is amazing!
You're dedicated, i'll give you that. :)

Anonymous said...

Bev, that bag is absolutely fantastic! I can't believe you made that yourself, what a challenge that seems! I love the colors too, since I'm partial to bright colors.

Mitzi

Melissa ;-) said...

Bev, that is really gorgeous!

Annette said...

Wow, your bag is amazing!