Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Shopping and an escaped prisoner.

Hello,

Well another day of sunshine here today. I was out in the garden this morning planting and re potting.

 Yesterday I had my annual day out. I do get out a bit more often but I call this my annual day out because once a year close to Mother's Day I go out by myself to places and shops I want to visit. A little treat for myself. I usually try to go before Mother's Day but it just didn't happen like that this year. So yesterday I set out to go to Midland and along the way I saw some hitchhikers first there were two females just out of town, nope didn't give them a lift. A bit further along a man with his thumb up and on his mobile phone. Nope didn't give him a lift either. Travelled along a bit further and just going around the corner right next to the car was a prisoner on the ground with two prison guards leaning over him. Thankfully they got him when they did or else he might have wanted a lift from me too. There are two prisons close together one is for people who don't pay there fines and low risk prisoners and the other prison is for baddies of a higher security level. I am not sure which one he was from but I am glad they got him.

I continued on with my day out with a visit to Better Pets and Gardens and stocked up on some chook food then across to Bunnings to load up with plants and goodies. I got several punnets of Salvia in both white and purple and some more Foxglove's. Some packets of seed including Sweet Peas and Cucumbers. A "Candy stripe" verbena which has the prettiest little clusters of pink and white flowers and a Sphaeralcea "Priscilla Pink" which also has pink flowers,this grows to about 1 metre by 1 metre.

Then it was on to Spotlight to have a good look around, No I didn't buy anything there but had a great look around. Then it was onto Midland Gate Shopping Centre to have a look in Dymocks(Book Store) then it was time for lunch. Then I dropped into Textile Traders where I bought a metre of pink material for $6.00. I caught up with Janelle here and had a chat with her. Then onto another patchwork shop then a call into Sweet Country Abode for a cuppa for the way home.

On the way home just out of Mundaring I saw beside the road the male hitchhiker. He had a couple of green bags full of shopping and was hitching his way back. I presume he was pretty confident of getting a lift back with his shopping.

On the way home I decided to call into the local  Good Sammy's Shop  to finish the day of. Well I was so lucky. I could have just about bought out the shop. I was also lucky enough to see a quilt that Pat had rescued from the shop and finished of. It was just so lovely and bright. It will end up at her daughter's home in Canada.




Look at the goodies I got, all brand new total cost $20.50. Bundles of fabric for only $1.00 each which included metres and metres of material. Two lots of crochet thread still in packet for $3.00 each. The most expensive item was the Brisbane Lion's footy scarf that I saw when I was going to the counter. I told Ian he was the most expensive part of the day. Apparently there is more coming to the shop on Thursday. Another visit I think is on the cards.



This is some of the material including a half a metre of the fabric on the left some sunflower material and the other ones were in a bag for a $1.00. The pink one on the right is what I bought at Textile Traders.


I have been doing some hand stitching but it is basically lots of "chain stitch" at the moment so will show you some roses from the garden instead. The above one is called "Pink Rosette" This is a very small bush with large clusters of mid pink blooms. It grows to about 50cm and is free flowering.



This is a David Austin I can't remember the name without finding my book. I did look at the pot which I left near the bush, it does have the name on there but unfortuatly it has the roots from the bush grown into it and I couldn't shift it. You can see the bud of another one coming along in the background..


This is another David Austin in the same rose bed. I will have to find a book that I wrote the names of roses in and see what it is called. They both have beautiful perfumes which is part of the reason I love growing them.

Have a wonderful day full of happiness and love.

Happy days.
Bev C

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bev what an interesting day you had and some great buys there too.

Pauline said...

Excitement and bargains all in the one day! Wonder what you will get up to next year on your Big Day Out? And I just gotta ask - what are you going to do with the Brisbane Lions scarf? Not something unmentionable I hope.

Simone de Klerk said...

What a wonderful day you had! You have a lovely way of writing. Exciting and fun to read!
Your roses are once again exquisite, as are their names.

Melody said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time, with some bargains thrown in too - hoe fabulous.

Valspierssews said...

Bit of excitement on the way to town! Not nearly as exciting as your goodwill shop treasures. I love your roses too.

Sweet Cinnamon Stitches said...

Loved hearing about your day Bev....what great bargains.....such pretty crochet thread. Your roses are gorgeous...what a lovely shade of apricot the middle one is!!
Cheers....Jane.

Karen said...

You really know how to cram a lot into one day! Great buys and so glad you didn't pick anyone up!

BubzRugz said...

You sure made the most of your day out.... beautiful roses and of course who doesn't love a great bargain....
Hugz

Nat Palaskas said...

Oh Bev, you had a lovely day out. I love a day of my own too. I haven't done that for so long now. I do miss it. I was hoping to read the story of a hitchhiker, but you didn't picked one up. Maybe next time uh! xoxo Nat

rosie said...

Good girl not to pick the hitch-hikers up... we were told some horror stories when we were student nurses and I have never forgotten...
Love your garden Bev..xx

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Wow Bev I like your idea of a day out...Just Superb!!! What a good day you have had...nice plants...good buys and those beautiful roses!!! Dzintra

Terriaw said...

Sounds like a great day, for you! We used to see hitchhikers when we lived in Colorado, but they always looked like young ski bums. Now I never see them anymore in the midwest. Love your lovely roses!

Melissa ;-) said...

My husband and I like to visit Niagara Falls a little north of us every couple of years. There is a prison along the highway and I have noticed a sign on the roadside just outside the prison warning travelers not to pick up hitchhikers. I always thought it was so funny. Now it doesn't seem so ludicrous anymore! Love your roses!

Jen said...

Sounds like a wonderful day Bev, love all your goodies!! I looove great finds at the salvos or Good Sammy shops, I get so excited at thrify finds!! I have to admit, I don't see alot of hitchhikers anymore - so three in one day seems alot! And as for the prisoner, well, gotta thank those prison guards - they do a great job keeping the riff raff away from us!! (did I tell you my hubby is one! ... oooh, I mean a prison guard, not riff raff hehe!!) Your roses are just soooo beautiful Bev, I love the colour of the David Austin, my mum grows roses like yours, I am an amateur rose grower so still learning...
Anyway, have a great day!
Hugs
jen xo

Michelle Ridgway said...

A great day by the sounds of it with excitement thrown in. Your roses are just gorgeous.

Lynda said...

What a day out! Beautiful roses.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Well, an exciting drive on your way! Pretty bargains! Have a great week!

Anita said...

Hi Bev, I think you will be very proud of me.....I went into 'that' shop!!!! I was so excited about all the treasures you found and went in myself. I also found some treasures. Thanks for the encouragement. I love your roses, so many different varieties. Kind regards, Anita.