Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Friday, January 25, 2013

A true blue Aussie Christmas Hexagon Runner and Thank you.

 Hello,

A few days before Christmas I stopped working on this hexagon runner that I was working on. I managed to finish it recently. This was a fun project to work on. I made up the design myself. I was so over seeing Snowmen etc for Christmas decorating. Christmas here at Kainga is hot, a Snowman has no chance of surviving.


I purchased the Emu fabric from Spotlight and this was the basis for the runner. I machine embroidered the floral emblems of each state of Australia plus the Wattle which is the Australian floral emblem which is in the centre block.


For the machine embroidered hexagons I used the calico I had dyed with brown onion skins last year. I have used two different fabrics for the back of the hexagons. I had some gold fabric which had been in my Christmas fabrics for a while. The green floral fabric was actually from a blouse I had cut out which I knew I would never make up as I am no longer that size. The front of the hexagons were 6.5 inches in size and the back of the hexagons were 8.5 inches. I machine sewed the hexagons but they were joined by hand when it came to putting the completed hexagons together.

Thank you.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their lovely comments regarding David. I can honestly say that this was the most traumatic time of our lives as a family. Unfortunately we have nothing good to say about The Bangkok Hospital in Samui. They botched up the operation. I believe we are so lucky to have such wonderful hospitals in Australia that treat patients with the correct procedures and most importantly treat people well.
We would like to thank the wonderful Surgeons, Nurses and staff at Royal Perth Hospital who treated David when he got back to Australia. David is recovering well. He has another month of soft foods and is certainly looking forward to when he can chew food.

Happy days
Bev C

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your Hexagon runner, :))Crazy weather we are having, but so thankful for the rain we have had today :))
Good news....:))
So pleased you are all back home safe in Aus....
hugs pat:))

Anonymous said...

gorgeous runner Bev and so good David is here in Australia and on the mend,big hugs for you all.xx

Christine M said...

Lovely table runner Bev. So glad David is back in Australia. How awful for him to have problems at the hospital in Bangkok. We are certainly so lucky with our hospitals here in Australia. I bet he's looking forward to a good steak!

Narelle said...

Your runner is perfect for an Aussie Christmas.
Good news that David is home (in Aus) and on the mend.

Fiona said...

Good to hear David is back here nd in good hands.. what a relief for you. I love your Ausi table runner...
Hugz

Sue said...

I'm so glad David is home now getting the best of care from hospital and his Mum!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Love how you used the states' flowers and the emu Christmas fabric, Bev, to make it more appropriate for your area. So cute!! And glad to hear that David is on home turf and doing better. xoxo

Jeanette said...

Gorgeous hexie runner. Glad to hear all is going well with David. Hugs,xx.

Petra said...

Hello Bev, now I read the post of your son David, I hope It is a lot better now I'm so sorry for him and his family. I'm a little bit late but I don't read it before. And over you work is the bird that you have used the cassowary. We have seen that bird at our trip when we stay in Mission beach and over there ware a lot of that birds. He looks beautiful he had a lot of nice colors but he is very dangerous. Your work looks very nice. I hope your son is going well now. Over here it is very cold I think minus -10 at least and a lot of snow, my kids are ice scatting and they like it very much but early in the morning when the go to school with the bike it is very cold. The have cloves and shawl and a warm wollen had the need it. Now that was it for now nice talking to you, take care greetings Petra.

Anthea said...

Wow Bev, I love the runner! What a great design you created, and the State flowers are just perfect.
I've said enough about David's situation... and I reckon that every cow and sheep will look like a steak or roast to him very soon!! x

marina said...

so glad your son is on the road to recovery at home!
Lovely hexie table runner...

Maria said...

So glad to hear that your son is now on the road to recovery. Thank goodness for an Aussie hospital; so good they could 'fix up' the obvious botch up of the Thai hospital!
Your runner is magnificent...the floral emblems' embroideries are just so special :-)

Maria said...

I am delighted to hear David is covering well at home..
Sometimes we don't realise how lucky we are with our hospitals and care...
Nice table runner Bev.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Looking good Bev...so glad David is doing well! Take Care xoxoxo

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Bev, The Aussie runner is very very beautiful. I am so glad your son is doing better and will soon be able to come home. Hugs Judy

Bobbie Lynn said...

Bev, So sorry to hear what happened to David and thank God he is on his way to recovery. What you and your family must have gone through. I will say some prayers for David, you and your family.

An adorable runner and hexagons are a neat shape. Was the binding hard to do?
Have a good day Bev

Terriaw said...

Lovely tablerunner.

Sorry to hear about David's troubles in Thailand. I believe it when I hear you say their healthcare is bad. My sister used to live in China, and it was scary in places there too. Glad to hear he is doing better back home now.

Mylene said...

A beautiful table runner, great job!!

Sorry, haven't seen your earlier post about David accident, do hope he is recovering now.

Astrid said...

What a lovely table runner! Well done! Glad to hear David is at a safe hospital and is recovering.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Catherine said...

Hello Bev, thanks for the update. So pleased that you are all passing out the other side of the trauma. Hope the progress is steady & the repairs quite satisfactory in the long run. Much love Catherine x0x0x

Wendy said...

Hello Bev, your table runner is lovely. Good news about David, I hope he keeps healing well. Wendy x

Sandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandi said...

What a relief for you to have David back in Australia. All the best with his recovery. Wonder what first meal he is dreaming of. The beautiful table runner certainly is a fresh alternative for our sunny Christmas. It was good to see Kainga Happenings in my email box once more xx

MandaBurms FarmStay for Cats. said...

GASP! I'm just catching up on blog reading. Oh my I am pleased David is back in Australia and in good hands.

Thinking of you.
love Leanne

Sarah said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Sarah said...

This is gorgeous! I've never done a hexy project - are the hexagons hand-sewn together?