Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Thursday, November 7, 2013

"Bah Humbug Tea towel !!! and other Christmas Sewing"

Hello,

I have had a bit of fun in the sewing room over the past week or so.

"Bah Humbug Tea Towel."
Now apparently Bah Humbug means you don't like Christmas the saying comes the fictional character Ebinizer Scrooge in the Charles Dickens novel "A Christmas Carol"  No one likes doing dishes at Christmas so I thought I would have some fun choosing the Christmas fabric and then the ladybug fabric for the words bug. I had digitized these letters which are "Copperplate" style a few years ago.


 The tea towels came in a pack of two so the other one got a basket of flowers on it. This design is on my machine. I then added some butterfly hearts.


"Style Pattern 3942 child's size 2."
 I still have all my sewing patterns from when our children were small. They are now being used for the next generation. This is a handy little pattern as it has cross over straps, which if they are a bit long you can just cross over the straps again to make the outfit fit better. I remember doing this with my girls. I did have a HUGE amount of trouble getting two button holes the same. I had practiced on some scraps,  all OK did the first one so well. Then the next one played up. (several times.) I gave up and added good old Velcro. This is why there are two buttons at the top to cover up the buttonholes. I couldn't be bothered un -picking the good one.

I must mention here that Sally was a great help in providing some elastic measurements for this project. Thanks Sally.

"Simplicity 5558 size 6 months."
I had just enough fabric to make this little romper suit, I did have to have a join in the back lining but that doesn't really matter. What fun I had with this pattern. I had the pattern and no instructions. The thing that flawed me for a while was how the bottom flap section all joined up. I managed to work it out after a lot of pinning.

It was great fun working on little people's outfits. I could get used to sewing them again

Hope everyone is getting lots of sewing done, it has been the perfect weather for it, not too hot or cold.

Happy days.
Bev C.

20 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

Lovely sewing, I must get my machine out but I won't be producing anything as lovely as your items.

Fiona said...

how cute are those little outfits... it is so nice to see mums putting their bubs into handmade again....
great Christmas teatowel...
Hugz

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Bah hum bug indeed! Love it!
Linda

Karen said...

The little outfits are so gorgeous!! And I like the work you have done on the tea towels, too. Great idea!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Bev. The wee outfits you made are sooooooooooooo very cute.. Love your Bah Hum Bug tea towel. Pretty neat.... Have a lovely week. Hugs Judy

Cheryll said...

Gorgeous outfits for the little ones... and of course I just love "Bah Hum Bug". Well done! :)

Lin said...

Great idea's for the tea twowels Bev and I like the outfits. Perfect weather for stitching here - rain, rain and more rain!

Joy from Bundy said...

Love the tea towels,excellent chrissy words,and I love the hearts with the butterflies. I love appliquing by hand ,thinking that you could even make bags also with the HumBug design. Especially for poeple who are really humbugs! ha ha. Cheers Joy from Bundy.

Christine M said...

Great tea towels Bev. Those little outfits are cute too.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Bah Humbug Bev.....we are going to see A Christmas Carol play here in December! Great work as always! Happy Weekend to you xo

Anonymous said...

lol love that tea towel Bev,you sure have been busy.xx

Bobbie Lynn said...

Hi Bev,
What great dish towels and love your adorable dress and roper. Making baby and children outfits are fun to make.
Thanks for your comment. I will try to save a few of the yellow, red and orange. They were the ones that got a lot of attention of the butterflies.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings!

Julie said...

Hello Bev - I love your new teatowels - the bah humbug one is especially appropriate for christmas. Your new outfits are just gorgeous too - gosh you have been busy.

Pauline said...

Even I would grin while drying the dishes if I used that tea towel, Bev. Good thinking!

Nicky said...

What a cool Christmas towel, love the 'bug' fabric. Gorgeous little clothes you're making, takes me back to the kind of things my Mum used to make for me....

Maria said...

Cute baby clothes Bev . Lovely tea towel too.

Terri said...

Fun sewing projects! I bet it's nice to be working on some Christmasy projects.

Anthea said...

Gorgeous sewing for littlies there, Bev! I have kept all my patterns too. It must be a blast to be sewing with them again after all this time! x

Vickie said...

love sewing for little ones...totally love the outfits you made..and that T towel is a hit-could do with one of them for one of the managers at work LOL,cheers Vickie

Eggs In My Pocket said...

The little outfits are so adorable. Love that tea towel, ha, ha