Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

"Heartbeat" Quilt and a Weekend away.



Hello,

Today is the last day of September,can't believe how fast the year is going. Over the last couple of weeks I have been working on a quilt top. Doing about 15 minutes at a time. It has been one of those quilts you have to pin and pin and pin. Who said jelly rolls make quick quilts?



There is still a small border to go on yet. The pattern came from one of the Jelly Roll quilt books which I borrowed from the local library. I used the Jelly Roll I had won earlier on in the year for OPAM (One Project a Month)  The lime green is from the one I got at Good Sammy's. I think there is only scraps/strips of it left now.The big plan is to have it finished by the end of the year. I am thinking about hand quilting it. Though  those plans could change.

The above is taken from my blog posting on September 30th 2011.

Well, I didn't quite get it done when I said I would but I did hand quilt it.I started the hand quilting on Wednesday 16th October and finished on Wednesday 13th November, putting on the binding over two days finishing up Friday afternoon 15th November 2013.


 I ended up using the machine to quilt the border, so quick on the machine compared to hand quilting. I used some more of the lime green for the border and some brown homespun for the binding. Pink fabric for the backing completes this quilt.
I did find a wonderful fuss free method for joining the binding. I usually join on the bias but found a much simper method than what I was using. It worked the first time which was great. Thanks to Edna I will be using this method from now on.

My "L" cake made specially by Lucy"
The other event that took place last week was my Birthday. With family once again in every direction, several different lunches/dinners were on the cards.  Lucy made this wonderful double sponge filled with the most delicious strawberries between the layers and a very enjoyable icing made with cream cheese. Thanks so much Lucy. I was also taken away for the weekend to a surprise destination.


 I got to meet Elvis.


 Marvel at the Ferris Wheel, we just looked at this, our tummy's were far to full to ride on here after our dinner on Saturday night.


 Lots of lovely old building to look at, here is the view of the streets of Fremantle from the Round House.


We got to see the ocean and feel the Fremantle Doctor which is the name of the wonderful breeze that comes in each afternoon. Something that living in the country doesn't provide. We did loads of walking which was great and on the way home called into the cinema's and watched "Enough Said" A great movie to finish of the weekend. Thanks Ian and family for a wonderful week of celebration. 

David continues to supply us with some amazing medical facts. Did you know that for every extra kilo you are overweight your body needs to make one kilometre more of capillaries. Makes you think how amazing the body is and what some people are doing to their bodies.

Happy days.
Bev C

16 comments:

Anthea said...

Hi Bev - wow this quilt is so pretty, well done, and doing all that quilting by HAND too - that's a lot of stitching!
Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday - and Fremantle really turned on the heat for you perhaps? - the cake is so pretty.
Take care x

Julia said...

Gorgeous quilt, would be lovely hand-quilted...but I know how plans can change.
I love Freo, looks like you had a wonderful time, meeting Elvis and all, was he outside the Sail and Anchor?
Julia ♥

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Bev.xx

Lin said...

Great finish on your quilt Bev - very pretty. A belated 'Happy Birthday' - your weekend aways sounds as though it was a great treat. xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful finish on your quilt. Happy birthday Bev....great cake...yum!

Deb said...

Bev, I love the bright colors in your quilt!! Great job! Seeing photos of others' finished quilts is always inspirational for me.

And a belated Very Happy Birthday to you! Sounds like you were treated like a queen - I'm glad you had a special weekend! Continue to celebrate!

Petra said...

Hello Bev happy birthday to you happy birthday to you happy birthday there Bev happy birthday to you. Congratulations and I reed you had a very nice day. It's almost summer over there I think over here it's autumn but we are going to the wintertime for tomorrow the say we can have some wet snow and that means cold outside. But not cold enough that the snow lays on the road. Your quilt is lovely, it looks like a lot of work but when you like it it's a peace of cake. I make a joke of course but it looks very good. I hope you are not overweight (ha, ha) after your birthday that cake looks lovely I will bite in it. But I reed over the jokes about overweight It sounds like a lovely weekend.
Have a nice time Bev greetings Petra.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Happy late Birthday. Sounds like it was so much fun. Beautiful quilt and the cake looks delicious! It is amazing at how much abuse our bodies take and correct for us. It always catches us however!

Fiona said...

I love the story of the quilt.... and it looks beautiful now it is done... Happy Birthday and looks like such a fun weekend...
Now I am off to contemplate all those extra capillaries my body has had to make!! haha
Hugz

Terri said...

Happy belated birthday! How fun to go on a surprise trip to celebrate. That cake looks amazing. I don't think I've ever seen so much frosting on one cake. Happy days to you!

Lynda said...

Happy Birthday Bev. So much happening lately. I love the quilt you've finished.

Pauline said...

Belated happy birthday, Bev. Did your sister ring you? Well done to Lucy with that cake. I feel very sorry for my poor old body now, it sure has been working hard recently!

Julie said...

Gorgeous quilt Bev ... love the colours. Happy birthday & what a wonderful looking cake you had made for you. Glad you had such a special weekend x0x

Wendy said...

Hi Bev, your finished quilt is beautiful, the hand quilting is lovely. Sounds like a wonderful birthday week, beautiful scenery and the cake looks delicious! Wendy x

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

A great finish Bev! Happy Happy Birthday to you...looks like a fantastic time and wow how cool to 'meet' Elvis!

Nicky said...

Your quilt is beautiful Bev, and all by hand too, wow! Happy birthday, what a lovley cake, Lucy is a very talented cake decorator, and I bet it was yum too...