Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Hearts-a-bloom" is now finished.

Hello,

Yesterday I finally finished the "Hearts-a-bloom" quilt. I worked over the weekend doing the stitchery blocks.I didn't have enough of the pink thread so two blocks the one in the top right end and the one on the left in the bottom row were done in the light pink I used lots of rose prints.
The other blocks had the darker pink thread. I used some DMC Cebelia a size 20 crochet thread
to attach the ric-rac. Following the theme of "budget" this month I made four suffolk puffs to cover the ends of the outside row of ric-rac. I only found four pink buttons the same. The pattern called for a button on the hearts and the ends of the ric-rac. I don't think this made any difference. I button holed the suffolk puffs on with some thick silky thread that I had on hand. I think this was originally for use on my over locker but I have used it for crocheting around flannels.
I did some quilting around the hearts and followed the lines of the other blocks.Along the side I used a quilting pattern called"Renaissance" which I got from a book called "Treasury of Quilting Patterns" by Cheryl Fall.


I am really pleased with how this worked out. I have some more patterns by Sally Giblin I want to do including a bag and a cushion or two.
Happy Sewing
Bev C

18 comments:

Simone de Klerk said...

What a lovely heart quilt! I love how you put those roses in the hearts!

retdairyqueen said...

Oh Bev I love it The colours are great and the hearts are beautiful with the ricrac

Unknown said...

Lovely Quilt...Very Pretty..love the Embroidery.
cheers

Cubby House Crafts said...

What a beautiful quilt! love the blanket stitched suffolk puff!
Lisa ʚϊɞ

Terriaw said...

This is so very pretty! I love that purpley heart in the lower corner. I adore the ric-rack framing the hearts and the little yo-yos too. So Sweet!

Janet said...

This turned out really cute. I love hearts on quilts. I think the puffs add your own touch. Lovely finish!

Maria said...

Your Heart Quilt is lovely.Love the embroidery on your blocks.

allsewnup said...

What an amazing quilt. Congratulations!!

Carolyn

Tarnyia said...

Bev it is gorgeous very girly and I love the dark rose fabric with the purple... I think your ric rac has made it as well xxx

Bobbie Lynn said...

Bravo Bev! Love the color combination and al the lovely details.

Christine M said...

Your quilt is so pretty Bev.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

How very pretty Bev...boy you are getting through some stuff!! Love the garden plaque below with that all time beautiful saying♥x

Pauline said...

Gosh, Bev, this is beautiful. I shouldn't be surprised any more, after seeing so much of your work, but you keep on keeping on. I had a chuckle at the word "flannel". It's not commonly used here and one of my grand-daughters asked me once why I had taught her mother to teach her to call a flannel a flannel when no-one else knows the "proper" word for it.

Kathy said...

What a lovely quilt in hearts, flowers, and pinks! It has a very vintage look. I like the touch of rick rac trim that you have used too.

Mylene said...

Your heart quilt looks gorgeous. Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Bev, such a beautiful quilt...love the addition of the ric rac...Warm Regards Lyn

Sally said...

Oh so lovely. Those rose prints are gorgeous.... and the hearts - so fancy and the quilting around them makes a great effect.
I think you might be giving me a quilting itch.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev, It's always nice to see my designs stiched in different colourways. Hope you enjoyed stiching it ! Keep up the good work. Happy Stitching, Sally Giblin, The Rivendale Collection. xxx