Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

50 cents and a charity quilt.

Hello,

I am gradually working down the pile of projects I want to get done. I picked up this piece of printed material at Good Sammy's (op-shop) a while back. I paid a whole 50 cents for it. It was marked down from $1.00.
I machine embroidered a few butterflies on it in different sizes. I have just noticed the different colour of the material in the different photo's.

Some simple quilting around the butterflies and it was done. Some black homespun for the binding and backing was used from the stash.


The table runner will be a present for Ainsley and Julian's new home. I think the table runner will be right at home on there dining table. Did you notice the candle holder on the runner? Ainsley got one of those dreadful palm leaves that fall down and varnished the inside of it. A perfect candle holder for her table.
I dropped this quilt off at PMH last week along with the Teddy Bear. The ladies at the shop were so grateful for these donations. Sue one of the ladies who attends sewing with me made the quilt. Sue spends a lot of her time sewing and does test sewing for a few designers. So she has lots of squares to use up. Thank you Sue.
I started the huge job of pruning the roses this afternoon. So I will be out in the garden during the day over the next few days.
Happy days.
Bev C

7 comments:

Anita said...

Hi Bev, Some people find all the treasures at the op shops. Lucky you and the runner looks great. Love the creative idea of varnishing the palm leaf. Ainsley must get the crafty side from her Mum. Kind regards, Anita.

Sally said...

The butterflies are wonderful. What a brilliant idea to embroider more on - gives so much texture and detail. Beautiful.
... and what a fantastic donation to PMH. So very very generous.

Simone de Klerk said...

Lovely, that butterfly piece of work! And the quilt is very cute.

Terriaw said...

That purple printed fabric is so gorgeous! I love the butterflies you embroidered on it. Cool bear project too! You are having a quite productive week!

allsewnup said...

Beautiful butterflies. Nice find!
Cool candle holder.

Carolyn

Tarnyia said...

Oh MY.... I can not believe that someone else saw the candle holder idea as weel... about 6 yrs ago I made the same thing for my outsde table... I used some little tea light holders and filled around them with little stones.. it looks so good on my outside table... will have to take a photo to show you...

Tiffany said...

Oooo, a lovely bargain and a finished project. Love that. I heart purple for sure and the embroidered butterflies are terrific. That's a sweet quilt and quite a generous donation.