Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Birthday,budgeting and welcome a new blogger.

Hello,

Welcome,I hope you are all having a great day. I left for my walk this morning at twenty to nine and it was only five degrees. Boy did my fingers feel the cold. Back home an hour later and it was 12 degrees Celsius. I went inside and added some more wood to the fire and it is warm inside now. There was supposed to be rain and storms but nothing but clear skies outside. We can hope for some rain. We certainly need it,we have only had 81 mls of rain so far this year. Way below what we normally have. We celebrated Lucy's 17th Birthday on Tuesday. We both went to a local cafe called "Lucy's Tearooms" for lunch then for tea we went to the Tavern. Ian Bonnie and Ryan joined us. You always get a giant size meal at the Tavern,you certainly never leave hungry. The rose in the above photo is called "Many Happy Returns"
This month I have decided to have a "budget" month. I will be very careful what I spend on craft. I did purchase this bag of squares from a garage sale for $5.00. In it were 29 8 inch squares and 13 7 inch squares. I think that is a great price and it is all cut up for me.

Continuing on with the budget theme. I have made my own light box. We had this fish tank in the shed collecting dust. I had saved this light fitting and found it. Now I have my very own light box. Though Lucy would love to have some fish in the tank.


You may wonder what a cross stitch ,a cushion , a ladybird heat pad a bucket and some folk art boxes have in common. Well I bought these all from Vicki when she had her shop in Mundaring. Vicki's shop had the best things in there plus Vicki and her staff were so welcoming. I have yet to see that in another shop since. I always bought my candles from her as well. There were always some burning in her shop. A while back Vicki decided to shift down south so her shop closed. The good news is Vicki has decided to start a blog. Vicki also has her website set up and has some great things for you to buy. Check out her postage deals as well. Welcome to the world of blogging Vicki and have fun. Please hop over to Vicki and welcome her.
Now I better get onto some sewing, I haven't done any sewing for the last couple of days.
Happy Days.
Bev C


15 comments:

Anita said...

Bev, Where was that garage sale!!! I want...oops....needs some squares too! lol. Good find girl. I think that the rain will be coming in to town look outside now. Come on the rain. Kind regards, Anita.

Tiffany said...

Sounds like a fabulous lunch at Lucy's for Lucy, that's very cool. I see you are a practical kind of gal too, searching for great finds and putting stored items to excellent usage. Nicely done! Love the pretty rose and your lovely fabric squares too.

Sue said...

Lovely fun, birthday lunching and shopping for bargains. What more could you want?

Terriaw said...

What a great stack of fabrics to find at a garage sale! That is awesome budgeting. I never have such luck at those sales. Love your idea for a photo box too. Quite clever. (and much better than having to take care of fish!)

Simone de Klerk said...

Gefeliciteerd with your daughter's 17th birthday. Thijme turned 17 in March.
Lovely rose and some lovely squares! Definitely worth it (O:
I hope that in the mean time you have had some rain.

Maria said...

Oh 5 is warmer than it was when I went for my walk the other day. It was zero when I got home at 8.30am.
We wear beanies, gloves and a scarf.
You are clever making your light box. Be careful when leaning on the glass.
Great bargain fabrics Bev.

Chookyblue...... said...

gosh you haven't had much rain......hope you get some.........perfect light box........

Sally said...

What a brilliant idea to use a fish tank as a light box! Awesome!!!
Love the Many Happy Returns rose. Stunning.

Mitzi Curi said...

I think having a "budget month" is a great idea....I spend sooo much on craft supplies, even though I always use any coupons I can find. Stay warm....
Mitzi

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Happy Birthday to Lucy!!!
Good buys there Bev...and what a fantastic light box!!!

Pauline said...

A beautiful birthday rose for a beautiful girl. Happy Birthday, Lucy!
Gosh, Bev, compare your 81 mms with our 98 within 24 hours! Sure hope you get more soon.
Great garage sale bargain, very pretty squares.
This morning the sky was clear and blue, the sun was shining and, despite the cool breeze I opened every window in the house - and nearly froze! But it was worth it!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

What pretty things! We have been having a lot of rain here in west Texas............something that we usually do not get! Have a great weekend, blessings,Kathleen

Micki said...

What a great deal and I am sure that you will enjoy the fabric. Thanks for visiting my blog!
Micki

aussiequilter said...

Hi Bev-gosh am I glad I don't have your weather!!!! Love your little treasures cheers teri

Bobbie Lynn said...

Sending a Happy Happy Birthday Wish to Lucy. Love to celebrate birthdays. : ) I think you picked up some nice fabric squares and a good price. Those are adorable items that you bought. Light box idea is a great one. A good recycling Bev. Keep warm.
Blessings,
Bobbie Lynn