Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"Picking Roses and Marina's Starry Night Crochet."

Hello,

Hasn't this Autumn weather been just perfect. Couldn't believe the lovely rain we received during the early hours of yesterday morning. 36.5mls of it. We usually don't receive much rain in March the usual has been either a ml or less or nothing. So I am predicting a good March, not Autumn or Winter. No need to get that far ahead! With this lovely rain the roses are enjoying a lovely flush of blooms and I have noticed the Bees are back in the garden. It was obviously too hot for them before.


So I did what the note on the blackboard said. Nothing like having fresh flowers perfuming the home.

Here are some out in the front garden.





All the roses above are David Austin's. I recently mulched the bed with some pea hay and they are thriving.

Marina's Starry Night.
I finished the doily I was working on. It turned out quite big at approx 22 inches across. I decided to call it Marina's Starry Night instead of just plain Starry Night as Marina sent me some crochet cotton a while ago and I am gradually using it up. There is actually a mix of the Coats size 10 and a DMC size 10 on the final few rounds. You see the pattern was originally made in a size 8 and used 65 grams of cotton. There were three full balls of the Coats cotton with the same dye lot so started with those. Had a few rounds to go and ran out. There was also some partial balls in the cotton Marina gave me of Coats size 10 but the dye lot was completely different. I tried a few stitches with the DMC thread and it was so much closer to the previous rounds of Coats cotton I decided to go with that. After a soak and a wash in nappy style soaker it came out beautifully and you can't see the difference.

Happy days.
Bev C

21 comments:

Christine M said...

What beautiful roses Bev. Your garden must be lovely. I love your doily.

Lurline said...

I hope your roses send a little message to mine - yours are just superb! Love the doyley - it is a long time since I've seen that style of crochet and it is looking so modern Would love to know your pattern source, if you feel like sharing.
Hugs - Lurline, Port Kennedy Perth.

Marilyn said...

Your roses are so so beautiful. Lovely crochet also.

Karen said...

Great to have so much rain for the garden. Every plant will soak that up. The roses are looking wonderful and will really enjoy the soaking.
Lovely work on the doily. Your crocheting is beautiful.

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Those rose look so lovely, I can almost smell them!

Linda

Lounging with a Latte said...

Your roses are beautiful and your crotcheting is stunning. It's so pretty and delicate. Well done. We're crossing our fingers for rain tonight!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Those roses....what a delight. Gorgeous crochet. Love it's name too.

Anonymous said...

those roses are equite Bev.xx

Jeanette said...

Love the roses. Love the beautiful doily.Hugs,xx.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Oh Bev your roses are beautiful...I can almost smell them...and I Love your doily!

Petra said...

Oohh Bev i can smell the roses what a beautyful colors. And they are very well after a dry periode. I love roses we had some rose tree's in the garden but over here it is still to cold of the time of the year and they do nothing. But it is the be' ginning of spring it is to early for be in bloom. Have a nice day. Greetings Petra.

Terry said...

Your roses are beautiful! And so is your doily! :0)

Maria said...

Love your roses Bev and the doily is very pretty.

Bobbie Lynn said...

Oh Bev, your crochet doily is stunning. I can see a lovely bouquet of our roses on it. Your roses are gorgeous. Love the colors and all the petals. You are right about having fresh flowers in the home and best if they come from your garden. I like your display of your roses next to the chalk board. Very sweet.
Blessings!

Terriaw said...

Your roses are absolutely stunning! They are so vibrant and full. I haven't seen blooming flowers in the garden in over 6 months, so it's a breath of fresh air to see your beautiful flowers. Happy days to you!

marina said...

those roses look amazing your photos would make lovely cards.
wow your doily named after me, it looks gorgeous. So lovely to see the cotton being used. If you find the colour doesn't sit well let me know and I can look if I have some more.

trishie said...

Great job on the doily and how beautiful are the roses in your garden. I just saw 5 roses in my own front yard this morning on the way to work. Must be the right climate for it!

trishie said...

PS: I'm currently hosting a new Fitskin giveaway, open to Australian residents only and I hope you will enter! http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/03/fitskin-naturally-review-and-giveaway.htm

Fiona said...

the roses are beautiful.... and so is the crochet work.. so delicate...
Hugz

Michelle said...

Oh wow those roses are stunning, I love the colours:O)

Narelle said...

Your roses are amazing!
Well done on a gorgeous crochet doily :)